Roadtrippin' (with Huka Falls detour)

Having decided to do a self-drive trip throughout New Zealand, it was inevitable that we would have some days mostly dedicated to driving from one place to another. Today was one of those days. Of course, driving 5 hours in New Zealand is nothing really compared to driving pretty much anywhere in Australia. The scenery along the drive was so beautiful that we just had to stop and explore it along the way. After a quick Google search we found a short walk to Huka Falls, about 5km out of Taupo.

At the beginning of the walk we found something Chris just has to find wherever he goes... a PLAYGROUND! Something tells me Chris was too big for the monkey bars (rings?), or just not doing it right...


Pfft.. too easy!

Weeeeeeee

Somehow I finally managed to get Chris to get off the playground and we started our walk to Huka Falls. The walk starts off in a wide section of the Waikato River where the water is calm with an amazing bluey-green colour.


Why must it be too cold for swimming!


Along the way there were lots of pretty flowers...


At least I think this is a flower...

And cute boys...


Chris the poser

As we walked, the river gradually became narrower and the water became faster and louder until eventually we found Huka Falls.


We made it!

For the whole of our trip so far we had carried around an umbrella and rain jackets everywhere we went, only to have non-stop sunny days with not a drop of rain in sight. Today we decided we didn't need the extra weight so we took our chances and ditched it all. As luck would have it, the rain we'd been waiting for finally came. Thankfully the trees acted as a hole-filled umbrella, shielding us from most of it, but I was determined to have a crack at some slow shutter photography no matter what it took. The result was sacrificing my warmth so I could protect my camera from the rain. It was probably a very funny sight for the other tourists, but at least I ended up getting some semi-usable photos.


The lengths I'll go for a photo


Probably not worth the effort but I did it!
After ten minutes of trying to capture the perfect photo without the right equipment, cold and hunger got the better of me and we began the journey back to the car before driving onward to Wellington.

xx Kate-Lyn

Comments

Popular Posts